Go ahead, preheat your oven and get ready to make @the.fit.peach's Toffee Caramel Thumbprint Cookies!
By Ansley Beutler
For the caramel
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
For the cookies
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour
- 3 Tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- cane sugar, for rolling (optional)
- Cocomels Toffee Bites, chopped
1. Add the coconut milk and coconut sugar to a pot and heat on the stove over medium heat. Let it simmer for 2 - 3 minutes until you can see it begin to thickened up around the edges. Remove the pot from the heat and pour into a jar. Chill it in the fridge for at least an hour to allow it to thicken up. This is enough time to bake the cookies and let them cool down.
2. Preheat oven to 350 F. In a bowl, beat together the egg, coconut sugar, coconut oil, and vanilla until smooth. The mixture will look glossy and thick.
3. Add the almond flour, cacao powder, and baking powder and mix to incorporate. The batter will be on the thicker side which is okay.
4. Use a small cookie scoop or a tablespoon to scoop the dough. Roll the dough into a ball with the palms of your hands then coat in cane sugar in a shallow dish (optional).
5. Place each cookie dough ball on a cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Use your thumb to press into the center of each cookie - make sure not to press through the cookie.
6. Bake in the oven for 8 - 10 minutes until the edges are crispy. If the center of the cookie rose a little in the oven, use a teaspoon to press the center back down. Let cool before adding the caramel.
7. Once cooled, spoon about a teaspoon of the caramel into the center of each cookie.
8. Sprinkle chopped Cocomels Toffee Bites over top and enjoy!